As you can easily tell by looking at my blog, I am a big fan of Asian cuisine. Especially the balanced flavor and texture of the recipes created with spices and coconut milk is a feast for my palate.
You can use curry mix from the grocery store for today’s recipe but if you would like to create your own spice mix, I share the recipe of a homemade curry powder recipe below. Mix all the ingredients and keep it in a jar, away from sunlight.
Curry powder ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1, 5 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or ground chilies
You can also add ½ tsp ground cinnamon and ½ tsp cloves into my curry mix above for the recipes with coconut milk, so that it will provide a perfect, smooth harmony.
Now, here is the recipe of shrimp curry.
Ingredients: (For 2 pax)
-200 gram raw shrimp, cleaned and prepped (thaw if frozen)
-1 cup coconut milk (canned)
-1 coffee spoon curry powder
-1/2 red bell pepper (it is missing in the photo of ingredients, sorry about that)
-1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
-1 coffee spoon grated fresh ginger
-Juice and zest of ½ lemon
-1/2 coffee spoon ground black pepper
-1/2 coffee spoon salt
-1/2 coffee spoon paprika (chili)
-2 table spoon olive oil
– Fresh coriander and chives for garnishing
– Marinate the scrimps with lemon juice, lemon zest, paprika, black pepper and salt for minimum 15 minutes in refrigerator
– Dice the onion, sauté in olive oil. Add finely sliced red bellpepper. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Add garlic, fresh ginger and curry powder, cook for 3-4 minutes.
– Add the coconut milk, cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
– Add the shrimps together with the marinate sauce, cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
-Serve with plain rice and garnish with the chives & fresh coriander.